Friday, April 6, 2012

Sprouting things

Good news, folks!  My little seedlings have sprouted! 

Welcome to the world little basil and chives.  And giant sunflower.  I completely forgot how sunflowers shoot right up.  I don't think I've grown one since kindergarten.  I even had to add a little popsicle-stick-support-system so they wouldn't fall over.  They are at least 6 inches tall already...after just a little over a week?! Wowzers. 


Also sprouting related, I attempted to sprout my own wheat berries to make some historical and nutritious Essene bread.  Major fail.  They were supposed to sprout within 48 hours and, after soaking them for a week, I'm certain they fermented instead of sprouting.  Bad wheat berries?  I don't really know what happened, but fear not, I will try it again!

Happy (early) Easter all!

3 comments:

  1. 1. are the wheat berries seeds? or are they food. Our food is radiated to control bugs and fungi. Our food no longer contains seeds that will germinate.
    2. If you have seed, change the water every day to reduce the chances of fermentation.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they are a seed-like food? I'm not quite sure how to describe them, they are in the grain family and I read many posts about how they sprout once soaked.

      I also changed the water every morning and evening. I think they were perhaps just a bad batch, I bought them from the bulk section and have no idea how old they were. I might try buying them from a different store and see if it makes a difference. I'll keep you posted! :)

      Thanks for the tips!

      Delete
  2. I have been reasearching sprouts of late and am going to try some alfalfa. We 'll see, my seeds are a few years old, do they go bad is my question too.

    ReplyDelete