Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Scandinavian Christmas: Day 9



Today I get to introduce you all to my husband, Ryan!  As I'm sure you already know from when I've written about him before that he is one heck of a nice fellow.  He is currently in grad school and spends most of his time writing, seeing movies and drinking cold coffee (ew).  Today he is here to share about how we met and how a little something Scandinavian was involved.


Prior to December 2008, my exposure to Scandinavian culture was limited to plastic trolls with neon pink hair, the Norway pavilion at Epcot, and IKEA.   I mean, I knew the basics.  Scandinavia is cold.  And the region’s major cultural export of the past fifty years was ABBA.  But aside from that, my knowledge was limited.

My vested interest in Scandinavia took a dramatic leap forward in December 2008 when I met this Swedish girl at a Christmas party.  She began talking about a Swedish mulled wine called glogg.  I immediately feigned interest in order to make a good impression.

I got her number, friend-requested her on Facebook, and then we both went back to our respective homes for Christmas.  I wanted to stay in the forefront of this girl’s mind over the two-week break, so I hatched a plan.  I was going to make glogg for my family.

So I called her.  I asked her all about glogg.  What spices should I put in it?  What kind of wine?  What year?  What brand?  How much?  Either she thought I was some dude who was seriously into mulled wine, or she could see through my veneer and knew I liked her.  No matter what, I was talking to her.

And now I’m married to her.

And we just celebrated her birthday with a glogg party.

Looking to impress a Swedish girl this holiday season?  Use this glogg recipe…the one Kathryn gave me over the phone.


Delicious Glogg
1 bottle red wine
1 bottle brandy
1 cup cranberry juice (or water would work too)
1 orange, sliced and zested
2 cinnamon sticks
10 cardamom pods
5-10 whole cloves
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup almonds (not roasted or salted)
1/2 - 1 cup sugar (depending on your sweetness taste)
chopped almonds and raisins for serving

First, put your cranberry juice in a large pot on the stove.  Add all the spices, sugar, raisins, and orange. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let the spices steep for 15 minutes (or allow to sit overnight).  Add your almonds, wine and brandy.  Heat through and serve in glogg mugs which are small and cute.  Add fresh almonds and raisins in your mug right before drinking.

4 comments:

  1. That is a great story, and great post! Merry Christmas to the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used your gløgg recipe for our Christmas party, and everyone really liked it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it Becky! It certainly packs a punch! :)

    ReplyDelete