Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Japan list


So I realized that I've already been in Japan for over 4 months!? It's crazy! I feel like before I know it this year is going to be up and I want to make sure I cram in everything I want to do while I'm here. So naturally, I made a list.

Kathryn's things to accomplish while living-in-Japan-with-lots-of-free-time-on-her-hands list:

Learn Katakana (one of the Japanese "alphabets")
Learn more Japanese - specifically numbers and helpful phrases
Brush up on my Swedish
Read more Psalms
Read the classics (currently reading: Wuthering Heights)
Learn how to crochet
Learn how to make a traditional Japanese food
Make mochi
Write a history paper, for old times sake
Learn basket weaving? (i'm still not quite sure I want to do this)
Read a book in Swedish
Make a quilt
Watch more Japanese television, especially gameshows
Run more
Learn how to cut hair (with ryan as my test subject)
Watch more Japanese movies
Travel to more remote Japanese towns

Well, that's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I'll be updating it regularly. Can you think of anything I should add?

5 comments:

  1. love your list! it's a mini life list for japan!!! you can add, "show alisha all the great spots in japan when she comes to visit!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. done and done! That list should be another post... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting... I was in Japan for more than 9 years and I still didn't achieve half of what was on my list (not that I had a list.. but now that I'm not there I think I should have!)
    Some suggestions - learn hiragana rather than katakana because katakana is only for foreign words, although hmm.. depending on your purposes katakana may be better...
    and remote towns - Shirakawago is amazing, can't remember where it is but it's UNESCO listed, a beautiful little town with thatched rooves (go in summer, you would freeze if you went in winter)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list. I'm living in England for 5 years now yet don't know where the Lord will take me in the future. You've just reminded me that I should see all that England has to offer.

    I would love to make a quilt too!
    And three years ago my husband let me cut his hair, and we both haven't turned back since. I'm great at it now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, England! I've only been to London once but loved it!

    Ryan agreed to let me cut his hair last week, but only after he went to a barber here and left with long patches of hair around his head...I tried to fix it and I think next time he'll let me cut it first! ;)

    ReplyDelete